Skip to main content

2017 - Favourite music, shows and movies

As a list and summary lover I wanted to sum up 2017 in some way so I came up with something that you can see below. We live in a world of professional recommenders and by any means I feel as a one whose voice in this matter shoud be treated especially seriously. There are way better and more important lists. But still, I assume that anything that makes one curious is worth sharing. Feel free to contact me if you want to spend some time conversating or have any questions.

Music

  1. Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
  2. Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked at Me
  3. Caterina Barbieri - Patterns of Consciousness
  4. Prince of Denmark - 8
  5. 坂本龍一 [Ryuichi Sakamoto] - async
  6. Dean Hurley - Anthology Resource Vol. 1: △△
  7. SZA - CTRL
  8. Tyler, the Creator - Flower Boy
  9. Kettenkarussell - Insecurity Guard
  10. Slowdive - Slowdive
  11. Johnny Jewel - Windswept
  12. Angelo Badalamenti - Twin Peaks: Limited Event Series Soundtrack
  13. DJ Seinfeld - Time Spent Away From U
  14. Visible Cloaks - Reassemblage
  15. Rafael Anton Irisarri - The Shameless Years
  16. Colin Stetson - All This I Do for Glory
  17. Arca - Arca 
  18. Lee Gamble - Mnestic Pressure
  19. M.E.S.H. - Hesaitix
  20. Errorsmith - Superlative Fatigue
  21. Priests - Nothing Feels Natural
  22. Talaboman - The Night Land
  23. Daigo Hanada - Ichiru
  24. Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory
  25. Kelly Lee Owens - Kelly Lee Owens
  26. Second Woman - E/P
  27. Patricia - Several Shades of the Same Color 
  28. Mac DeMarco - This Old Dog
  29. Piernikowski - No Fun
  30. Emptyset - Borders
I am not 100% sure yet but I am planning to write separate posts on my Facebook Fanpage about top 10 albums. Make sure you follow it if you find my insights noteworthy.

* I decided to give you hyperlinks to RYM for each album. It may not look neetly but that way you can find more info quickly.

Honorable mentions:

  1. Gábor Lázár - Crisis of Representation
  2. Carla dal Forno - The Garden
  3. The Empire Line - Syndicat de la Couture
  4. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell Live
  5. Various Artists - Mono no aware

Movies

  1. Twin Peaks: The Return dir. D. Lynch
  2. Sieranevada dir. C. Puiu
  3. The Salesman dir. A Farhadi
  4. Manchester by the Sea dir. K. Lonergan
  5. Toni Erdmann dir. M. Ade
  6. Paterson dir. J. Jarmusch
  7. The Other Side of Hope dir. A. Kaurismaki
  8. La La Land dir. D. Chazelle
  9. The Meyerowitz Stories dir. N. Baumbach
  10. Félicité dir. A. Gomis
I watched 151 movies this year but only 20 of them premiered in 2017 because I am still more interested in discovering the past of the cinema than catching up with the present. However, the new films I watched were carefully chosen thus I really enjoyed most of them. I enlisted 10 which impressed me the most.

* I don't care how you classify Twin Peaks; it was the most important and exciting cinematic experience I've ever had.

Shows

  1. Caterina Barbieri - Open Source Art Festival: Sopot
  2. Yves Tumor - Creepy Teepee: Kutna Hora 
  3. Rrose - 89: Kraków
  4. DJ Sprinkles - Unsound Flower Power: Kraków
  5. Moodymann - Audioriver: Płock
  6. Priests - Creepy Teepee: Kutna Hora
  7. Steven Warwick - Lado w mieście: Warszawa
  8. Lanark Artefax - Unsound Flower Power: Kraków
  9. Sevdaliza - World Wide Warsaw: Warszawa
  10. DJ Earl - Creepy Teepee: Kutna Hora
I wrote about most of these shows in my festival reviews. I don't feel like describing them extensively again. If you have a chance to see one of listed artists live, do not miss it. Each show provided me with a great dose of different emotions but only Caterina Barbieri gave me pure catharsis.

It was a great year. I hope the next one will be even better. Best wishes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twin Peaks Season 3 (Updated)

The quality of image Let's start with a quote from David Lynch from his book published in 2006: The DV camera I currently use is a Sony PD-150, which is a lower quality than HD. And I love this lower quality. I love the small cameras. One of the first thoughts that crossed my mind when I was thinking about new Twin Peaks was the choice of the camera and the quality of image. It wasn't difficult to guess that Showtime will insist on having the best quality possible. In general, people expect crystal clear image, they want high resolution to see everything. If you had asked me, I would have said that I'm in the same group but as I discovered later I couldn't have been much more wrong. It took me a while but finally I started feeling that the quality of image in S03 is too high. Why it is such a big thing for me? Let me elaborate later but first take a look at some screenshots. Inland Empire Twin Peaks S01 Twin Peaks S03 Of course, it is poi

2019

Without further ado - a list of my favourite albums from 2019 accompanied with slight visual boost (screenshots of films I enjoyed watching this year) for more pleasent scrolling. Farewell 2019 Blowout - Brian De Palma Flawless and entertaining (mood setters, mood changers) It must be heaven - E. Suleiman Erika de Casier  -  Essentials   Aldous Harding  -  Designer   HTRK  -  Venus in Leo Mount Eerie With Julie Doiron  -  Lost Wisdom Pt. 2 Fennesz  -  Agora Rainer Veil  -  Vanity RAP  -  Export Barker  -  Utility Topdown Dialectic  -  Vol. 2 Jessica Pratt  -  Quiet Signs 03 Greedo  &  Kenny Beats  -  Netflix & Deal Piotr Kurek  -  Polygome Triad God  -  Triad Tyler, the Creator  -  Igor Blood Orange  -  Angel's Pulse Neat and delightful (mood boosters, mood enhancers) A white, white day - H. Palmason Rian Treanor  -  ATAXIA Charli XCX  -  Charli Jefre Cantu-Ledesma  -  Tracing Back the Radiance ECCO2K  -  E Golden Ba

2020

Here we go again... Not in the mood for any extended explanations and comments; this year, I decided to present the top of the top of my favourite albums. No groups, sections or categories. Just a plain list of the best releases (in a random order) . Click on a hyperlinked title to see more info. It was a really great year as far as music is concerned tho.  Against All Logic  -  2017 - 2019   Cindy Lee  -  What's Tonight to Eternity DJ Metatron  -  Loops of Infinity (A Rave Loveletter) Eartheater  -  Phoenix: Flames Are Dew Upon My Skin Jay Electronica  -  Act II: The Patents of Nobility (The Turn) Lil Uzi Vert  -  Eternal Atake (Deluxe): LUV vs. the World 2 The Soft Pink Truth  -  Shall We Go On Sinning So That Grace May Increase?   Pa Salieu  -  Send Them to Coventry Oklou  -  Galore Beatrice Dillon  -  Workaround Bohren & der Club of Gore  -  Patchouli Blue Nicolás Jaar  -  Cenizas Actress  -  Karma & Desire AKSK  -  Things We Do G Herbo  -  PTSD KMRU  -  Peel Jessy Lanz