Skip to main content

Festival Review: Audioriver 2017

If you do something for the 7th time - and no matter what you do - it is hard to feel amazed and surprised. This year's edition of Audioriver left me quite dissatisfied. I don't know if it is about me or the festival so it's safe to assume that it's a little bit of both.

The atmosphere

The problem I have with Audioriver is that it is mainly supposed to provide you with an occasion to just simply dance and have fun with your friends. Nothing wrong with that but eventually it becomes both predictable and boring. You should have that in mind if you want to attend this festival and feel content. You will rather not find groundbreaking performances here but there's a high probability you may have a chance to listen to the masters of DJing on a superb soundsystem. It happened to me this year and saved my trip.

The saviors

The Belleville Three

While I was waiting for the gig, I read an interview in which Derrick May states that his mission is ''to save the world from bad music''. Quite an ambitious and challenging goal to reach so I just grinned reading it. Nevertheless, the three giants from Detroit - Mayday, Kevin Saunderson and Juan Atkins - were succesful in stealing the show on the first day of the festival. I doubt if you can expect more in case of mixing skills and track selection in a techno dancing set than The Belleville Three offers. 
   
The set was filled with energy, there were surprising moments, twists and rewinds. You could hear that they know how to play together, their styles complemented each other and each guy brought something to the table. I could never identify myself as a detroit techno fan so I didn't expect much from this gig but after a few tracks I stood stunned. I really appreciated how they understood the layering of sounds and mixing different rhythms; that's what I expect from a set to which you are supposed to dance. You might think that sometimes they play too much with effects and cutting tracks but when you are on the dancefloor it works perfectly well.

Moodymann

I went to Audioriver mainly because of his presence thus the expectations were really high. The first 20 minutes of his set were sloppy and dull; lazy mixes, safe and boring transitions made me doubtful. As it turned out later, there was nothing to be afraid of. Moody had to just examine the crowd and find a proper state of mind - at least it looked like it. Later, I had a feeling for which I came here. Moody played us an uplifting, funky set with some darker and eclectic moments. He spoke to the crowd in a visible excitement; asked repeatedly if they have fun and greated them using his favourite line: what up dude, what up doe ? 

In case of track selection it was a bit more funky and groovy than I thought it would be but not that I am dissapointed; I just thought that maybe he would play more stuff from his latest LP. His DJing was patient, he had long build ups and rarely mixed tracks in the middle but when he did, it was quite surprising and changed the mood significantly.
Check out the transition from The Beatles to Childish Gambino:
At the end of his set Moody wanted to keep playing but the stage manager told him that he has to finish. You could feel that he honestly enjoyed playing for this crowd. I want to see more artists like him; laidback dudes who relish doing their craft and interacting with the people. Hard not to smile when you look at them and that's what I love.

Summing up and just to make sure; if you ever have a chance to catch Moodymann, you should definitely do it. Of course, artists like him do not need a recommendation but these days there's so much music that you may miss a lot of great stuff just due to the lack of time for checking. Anyway, please find the time to check Moody - it's worth it!


The verdict

If you set up your expectations reasonably Audioriver may totally please you. The organisation is great, sound technicians really get their job done (T-Mobile Electronic Beats Stage had an outstanding soundsystem) they react quickly and correct artists' mistakes if these occur. The most disruptive thing is that you hear music from other stages and it really may drive you crazy and destroy some subtle transitions between tracks. Festival attenders may sometimes spoil your pleasure of listening by talking or acting strangely but there is enough space to find a calm spot. 

I want to express deep gratitude to my friend Maciej for allowing me to visit Audioriver every year for free and without having any concerns regarding eating and drinking during a festival - it truly makes a difference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twin Peaks Season 3 (Updated)

The quality of image Let's start with a quote from David Lynch from his book published in 2006: The DV camera I currently use is a Sony PD-150, which is a lower quality than HD. And I love this lower quality. I love the small cameras. One of the first thoughts that crossed my mind when I was thinking about new Twin Peaks was the choice of the camera and the quality of image. It wasn't difficult to guess that Showtime will insist on having the best quality possible. In general, people expect crystal clear image, they want high resolution to see everything. If you had asked me, I would have said that I'm in the same group but as I discovered later I couldn't have been much more wrong. It took me a while but finally I started feeling that the quality of image in S03 is too high. Why it is such a big thing for me? Let me elaborate later but first take a look at some screenshots. Inland Empire Twin Peaks S01 Twin Peaks S03 Of course, it is poi

2019

Without further ado - a list of my favourite albums from 2019 accompanied with slight visual boost (screenshots of films I enjoyed watching this year) for more pleasent scrolling. Farewell 2019 Blowout - Brian De Palma Flawless and entertaining (mood setters, mood changers) It must be heaven - E. Suleiman Erika de Casier  -  Essentials   Aldous Harding  -  Designer   HTRK  -  Venus in Leo Mount Eerie With Julie Doiron  -  Lost Wisdom Pt. 2 Fennesz  -  Agora Rainer Veil  -  Vanity RAP  -  Export Barker  -  Utility Topdown Dialectic  -  Vol. 2 Jessica Pratt  -  Quiet Signs 03 Greedo  &  Kenny Beats  -  Netflix & Deal Piotr Kurek  -  Polygome Triad God  -  Triad Tyler, the Creator  -  Igor Blood Orange  -  Angel's Pulse Neat and delightful (mood boosters, mood enhancers) A white, white day - H. Palmason Rian Treanor  -  ATAXIA Charli XCX  -  Charli Jefre Cantu-Ledesma  -  Tracing Back the Radiance ECCO2K  -  E Golden Ba

Festival Review: Creepy Teepee 2017

I decided to go to Creepy Teepee not specifically because of the artists who were going to play there but rather to enjoy the process of discovering. And discovering it was. From walking down the narrow and angled alleys through finding gluten-free meals in Czech restaurants to searching for a controversy surrounding Yves Tumor's gig. The location of the festival - Kutna Hora A few words are needed to be said about this place; both wonderful and dull at the same time. First of all, you can barely spot any people in the streets regardless of the day. The presence of trees which cover the hills in the nearby merges with narrow alleys and beautiful baroque buildings. It all creates a world in which you want to let yourself slow down and appreciate the atmosphere. And where in the hell you can find such a huge museum of contemporary art in a town with around 21 000 people. Spending the time on walking around Kutna Hora certainly prepared me for the things I was going to experience